Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Bad, The Good, and The Funny

Dear Mom,

It has been too long since I have written, but that's because things have been a bit busy lately.  So, this is going to  be a little bit of a catch-up time.  A couple of Mondays ago, I really struggled with you.  Not that I even like to admit that, but this is all about me sharing with you, so I have to be real.  We got up Monday morning, I got you and Bella up, took Bella out, then came back in to get ready for school.  You were already in the bathroom which I was glad about.  I was almost finished getting my makeup on, when you finally come out of the bathroom and then you complained that your bed was wet.  Usually you let me know that right away, either before I take Bella out or when I come back in from taking Bella out.  So, that made me a little crazy because now you were in the room and I had to try to work around you to get the bed changed.  I was finally able to get it done and finished getting ready for school.  I had a pretty good day at school.  I came home and you were hungry and wanted to get some ice cream.  I told you to get a fruit cup from the refrigerator while you waited for supper.  I got a phone call from the K4-K5 teacher, her kids were sick and they decided to have me substitute for her class.  As I was on the phone getting the information for her class, you put peaches down on the floor for Bella to eat.  I freaked out a little bit and grabbed it off of the floor and tried to move Bella away from the kitchen.  You got upset with me and started telling me to leave her alone.  Of course I missed whatever was being said to me on the phone, though I tried to act as if I understood.  I tried to mouth to you not to feed her because we don't know what is OK for her to have.  You just kept griping at me.  I grabbed Bella and put her in the living room until I was done talking, which you didn't like.  When I finished I told you that you are not supposed to be feeding her.  You got upset telling me it was just fruit.  I told you that even fruit can be dangerous for dogs.  I asked you if you wanted to make her sick or accidentally kill her.  You wouldn't even look at me or respond to me at all.  I had to take Bella out to go settle down.  It was bad enough that I had to substitute which I don't like doing, all I want to do is be with my third graders.  I put all the seatwork up on the board for Tuesday, and now we wouldn't even need it.  Then I had you acting like that, I thought I was going to go crazy.  I went downstairs after and had a chance to relax before bed.  I made it through the next day in the K4-K5 class and it went well, even though I wasn't sure about the one part that I didn't get to hear, hope it wasn't vitally important.  This past weekend my church had our annual Christian Ladies Seminar.  You have always gone to it for many years.  You have rarely missed any, maybe a couple or so.  I signed you up and paid for you to go, but I wasn't sure if you would be up for it this year.  I prayed about the best way to try to get you there, because it can be a long day, and I knew you wouldn't be up for the whole thing.  Plus, I had to find some time to get home to take Bella out.  I mentioned the seminar to you Friday morning at breakfast and you said you didn't want to go.  Later that day, about noon, I was all ready to go, and I just thought to tell you to put your sneakers on so we could go out.  You did and we went.  You were surprised when we pulled up to the church, but not bothered.  We walked in and one of the ladies you know really well just happened to be in the hallway to give you a hug, that was such a blessing from the Lord.  We enjoyed the first couple of speakers.  When they broke for dinner, you decided that you were ready to go home.  I drove you the half hour home, took Bella out quickly, then drove back so I could do some of the things I needed to.  I had to sing in the choir and I was Lady Liberty in some silly skits for the weekend.  So, I really needed to try to be there.
I was able to make it back on time, and had a good rest of the night...singing in the choir, doing my silly skit, and hearing the last speaker.  Now to figure out how to make Saturday work.  I got up early Saturday so I could get there on time for the seminar.  I had a silly skit to do at 10 and again at 2, had to sing in the choir a couple of times in there as well.  Then I wanted to be able to see the specials.  They had a skit and then later on a little 9 year old girl was going to be playing the piano.  I left you at home in the morning and went home during lunch and tried the same thing as I tried Friday.  I just told you to get your shoes on so we could go out.  You did and I brought you back to the church and you enjoyed the afternoon.  A good friend of yours was there to sit with you, so that was blessing as well.  You did really well both days, and then you still went to church on Sunday.  I was glad you had a good weekend.  
Then yesterday, I got home from school, and you were good.  I reheated our leftovers and we had dinner.  You went into your room to eat and I stayed in the kitchen.  Then you cracked me up because you peeked out your bedroom door from your bed and said, "I see you!"  I laughed so hard, and you cracked up too!  And said what you often have..."It's so good to be able to laugh!" It was great to laugh with you.  I love you!


  1. Wow, what a busy schedule you've had. I'ts so good to hear that your mom could go part time and also enjoy her time out.

    Dealing with Alzheimer's is like riding a roller coaster of emotions. Your handling your mom like I do with David...trying to laugh. (of course, sometimes we want to cry).

  2. It has been a little crazy here, lol. Thankfully mom did do well, that helped me so much! So thankful she still likes to get out.
    Yes, I have been realizing that more and more, that this disease is very much like a roller coaster. I just try to keep laughing through it. Hugs to you!