Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Getting Tougher

Dear Mom,

I know I just wrote last week about your hospital to home moment a couple of weeks ago.  But as I was writing that, you were actually back in the hospital.  Tuesday, July 2, I called 911 to come take you because your right hand totally turned in on itself.  Your wrist just drooped down and you weren't able to straighten it, and you had been struggling walking, seemed like you had a tough time moving your right leg properly.  So, I called the nurse first to see what she thought.  I was worried it could be a stroke, she said to call 911 right away.  They came and took you back to the hospital.  It was about 7 p.m. when they took you and you still hadn't gotten a room at 2:30 the next morning.  They finally just told me to go home because they were going to be taking you down for an MRI soon.  So, I left and went back the next morning.  The doctors said it wasn't a stroke, but they weren't sure about the hand.  Later a neurologist said it was something he called wrist drop.  He said there is foot drop and this was probably wrist drop.  He said you probably slept on it for a long period of time and it weakened or something.  That is the only side you sleep on.  He said it could reverse with some exercise or something, and he said a wrist splint could help.  They found you have a UTI and you were dehydrated.  They didn't give you an IV, but just had water and juice for you.  Sorry, as I'm writing this it's about a week later and your sister and her husband are here to help with you.  But today, I'm a little stressed.  So, I'm gonna skip ahead for a moment.  There has been so much going on, but when I have to entertain guests, I don't get to relax and just come get my reprieve from blogging and it's killing me. I appreciate their help, but today I waited for the nurse to get here.  I thought your Home Health Aide was coming around 11, so I waited for her.  The nurse called to say she was coming about 11:30. So  time was spent waiting for them to come.  The nurse came about 12, that was an interesting meeting that I'll talk about soon...I hope, if I can keep finding moments to come down here and blog a little.  I feel like this post is all over the place as it is.  But it's because I started it this morning, then couldn't get it finished before breakfast. Then, like I said waited for your Home Health Aide, and then waited for the nurse.  When she got here we had lots to talk about.  She was very helpful!  I won't try to get into that right now either so I can finish writing this to you.  Hoping to get it done without more interruptions.  The nurse came and we talked for a couple of hours and made some important decisions.  Then a little after the Home Health Aide came.  I tried to come down here and finish the post, but then they needed me upstairs again.  I came down another time, but by the time I started to write some more on this post I was called back upstairs because they were coming with your bed.  So, I had to go take care of that.  I hadn't even been able to finish my lunch because people called on the phone, other people needed my help with things.  It's been busy today, and I have just needed this time to write to you.  There is so much going on and I don't want to miss putting it into words, keeping up with what is going on with you. There have been some crazy changes, so I don't want to miss writing it down so I can check when things started to change and what happens.  So, yea, this post is all askew right now, and probably doesn't make much sense.  I guess that's how my mind is going right now...crazy!  So, I'm going to close and try to write more understandably tomorrow, or hopefully sometime soon.  I love you!

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about needing to put on paper everything that's happening..... I sometimes wonder why, but I do it anyway.

    I hope things are leveling off for you. You and your mom have been through a lot recently.
    Please know you and your mom are in my prayers!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I feel it helps to keep track of everything, that way I can maybe check back and see when certain things or changes took place. It's been a bit of a stressful week as mom's sister and her husband are here. They want me to get all of this stuff done, and they are running me a little ragged. I'm just ready for this week to be over! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!! I appreciate your kind comments each time, means so much!! Thinking of you and David!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete